Tuesday, 25 August 2009
Baigan Bartha / Baigan Bharta
Its a eggplant cooked in Indian style, with spices. This curry is one of my fav. Ind recent days i started to love the eggplant recipes and tried different styles, which suits my taste. I am posting this recipe specially for Kavya, who asked me for eggplant curry recipes. So i will start with bigan bartha recipe, and soon will post as many as possible. Well.....i have already made you wait for long , by not posting new recipes all these day, its all becuase i was so tried from my Indian trip and took pretty much time to get on my daily routine. So, by no more wasting time , i would directly go for the recipe. And here is the recipe just for you........
Eggplant - ( Medium size ) 2 numbers
Cumin seeds : 1 tsp
Garlic - 10 crushed
Ginger and garlic paste : 1 tsp
Big onions - 1 chopped finely
Tomatoes - 2 ( Chopped)
Chilly Powder - 1 and 1/2 tsp
Salt - To taste
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Oil - To fry
Garam masala - 1 tsp
Grren peas - ( Handful ) ( Frozen) ( If using fresh, need to soak it and pressure cooker it before using in the recipe)
* Take the eggplant and wash it. Wipe it with the tissue papper. Npw apply oil all over it generously.
* Preheat the oven, and set the oven temperature for 250 c and cook the eggplant for 20 - 25 mins. ( Until it is cooked well)
* Now peel the eggplant skin, and chop it into pieces. ( Make sure it is cooked well..)
* Now take a pan, add oil, and add the cumin seeds.
* Then add the crushed garlic, and fry till it changes the colour.
* Then add the chopped onions. and fry till golden brown.
* Now add the chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt to it. ( Fry for few moins for the raw smell to disappear)
* Now add the chopped tomatoes and fry for few mins. ( Close the lid and cook for few mins , until the tomatoes get cooked and become soft.)
* Finally add the cooked and chopped eggplant and mix well.
* Check for the taste and also make sure the eggplant is cooked, if not you could now close the lid and cook for some more time..
* Finally add the garam masala and the green peas and cook for 5 mins.
Hmmmmm.......the yummy and spicy baigan bharta is ready. Serve hot with plain rice, chapathi, naan or roti.
Click here for the printable version fo this recipe